Remember in New Moon when Charlie tells Bella that she’s gotta learn to love what’s good for her? That little snippet of advice has been playing in my mind over and over for the last couple of weeks. I guess the universe is trying to tell me something.
Over the last week, I’ve been making an earnest attempt to listen. Here’s the list of stuff I’ve been trying to do even when I don’t want to.
- Getting some exercise. I need to go outside for a walk every day.
Next up: I need to go outside for a run about 3 times per week. And in addition to that, I need to either start or join a group of other mamas who are running together so that I have some social interaction with grown ups.
- Eating like I know I should. I need to consume way less sugar and way more veggies and protein. Bah. I hate it. I hate it because I love sugar so much. It’s one of my major coping mechanisms. But, exercise begets a better diet. I learned that when I was training for my half marathon. I didn’t want to eat a bunch of junk. I wanted nutrients to fuel me for my running activities.
- Giving myself a break with writing. I am still learning (in spite of having been writing for more than 10 years). It’s okay to get stuck. It is okay to take the time to figure out what will make the story work. It is okay.
- Taking care of housework even if I am really effing tired and my baby doesn’t want me to do it. Once I get started, I really only need about an hour to get the apartment in order (unless I’ve put off dishes for a few days). Keeping up with the housework every day makes it easier for me to make time for playing with my sweet baby, writing, and relaxing in the evening.
- Cutting down on screen time. Except on my kindle. I’m trying to be more present and waste less time. Facebook and email are time sinks.
Every day is a new day. There’s lots of work to be done. Gotta get to it.